Many would answer that question in the affirmative. They would say we are in the period of intense partisanship, animosity and distrust. They would say we are in an extremely challenging moment, particularly with the current pandemic and the havoc it is causing to the health of our citizens and to our economy. Others would say our institutions are strong and we have sufficient safeguards built into our democratic system. They say, “we will get through this”.
On top of all this, some are predicting a calamity in the days, weeks, and perhaps months following our November 3rd election.
What are your thoughts?
Here are issues and questions to ponder:
• If you believe our country has deep divisions and is coming apart, when did this begin and why? And what are the major manifestations?
• Did the divisions in our country actually help Donald Trump get elected in 2016? If so, do you think he was elected because voters felt he could heal the divisions and/or that he understood and used these divisions to develop a winning campaign strategy?
• What are the major forces responsible for the divisions that exist in our country today? Internet? Hyper-partisan talk shows and cable news? Extreme partisanship in our politics? Social media? Other factors?
• Are we to take the divisions in our country as a “given”? Were they inevitable?
• What can be done to reverse these trends and lessen our country’s deep divisions?
• Who can do it? The forces that stoked the divisions? Citizen groups? Our next president? Other?
• How can they do it?
Our country is in a unique moment in its history as the resilience of our Republic is being tested.
Please join us in our Zoom meeting and share your thoughts.
Participants must register by September 15th to receive details on joining the discussion.
1460 Broadway, New York, NY, 10036